The Rock hints at WWE return against Roman Reigns at Wrestlemania
Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson has suggested he could be set for a sensational return to the wrestling ring – in a match with his cousin.
The 48-year-old hasn’t wrestled in WWE since a brief outing at Wrestlemania in 2016.
In truth his last major bout was some seven years ago against John Cena – Johnson later confirming his retirement as an active competitor – but the Hollywood megastar has hinted he may be tempted back for a family affair.
Speaking on his YouTube channel, the Jumanji star admitted to being open about working a match with his cousin, Roman Reigns.
Real name Joe Anoaʻi, Reigns is the current Universal Champion, ruling the roost on WWE’s Friday Night Smackdown show.
The two shared screen time in the world of sports entertainment five years ago when Johnson aided Reigns to victory at 2015’s Royal Rumble.
The pair have also worked away from the ring with Reigns in last year’s Hobbs & Shaw movie.
Wrestling fans continually link the pair and, with current storylines seeing Reigns face another family member in Jey Uso in a title match this weekend, speculation is mounting that WWE are building towards a match against The Rock for next year’s Wrestlemania.
Johnson himself did little to ease that excitement in admitting it was something he’d definitely be keen on.
He told Harim Garcia: “It’s so funny how a lot of people always say; ‘well, if you ever go back to WrestleMania, who would be the opponent that you would face?’ It feels like the one that would make sense would be Roman, in terms of box office draw.
“…The truth is I would be honoured not only to share the ring with Roman and to go back to WWE, but of course I would be honoured to have him raise his hand on that one.”
Reigns is himself easing back into life as an active WWE performer.
The former Shield member returned to screens at the end of August having not featured since the Spring as a result of a self-enforced hiatus amid concerns surrounding COVID-19 as WWE continued its operations.
Reigns said at the time of the break: “I just had to make a choice for my family.
“WWE has done everything that they can to make it the safest work environment possible. It is not the workplace that I was necessarily concerned about.
“The decision was taken mainly because each performer travels so much, and we are all such a diverse group and from all over the place.
“I’m not convinced, and I can’t trust the fact that everybody is taking it as seriously and locking themselves down at home like I am.”
Source: Read Full Article