Jon Jones makes promise to UFC fans over Dominick Reyes rematch plans

Jon Jones insists he's willing to rematch Dominick Reyes following the controversial result of their light-heavyweight title clash.

The New Yorker retained his 205lb crown last Sunday in the main event of UFC 247 in Houston, Texas courtesy of a unanimous decision victory.

Jones' 11th successful title defence divided opinion in the mixed martial arts world, with many believing he only won two of five rounds.

Reyes set his sights on an immediate rematch with 'Bones', who is adamant he'd happily throw down with the Californian again.

"It’s my job to embrace the toughest challenges," Jones said. "That’s what a champion is being about. I fought D.C. [Daniel Cormier] twice. I had no problem signing the contract.

  • Khabib manager breaks silence over Conor McGregor UFC rematch rumours

  • Conor McGregor vs Khabib rematch prediction made by UFC champ Jon Jones

"I fought Alexander Gustafsson twice and had no problem signing the contract. If the people want to see me fight Dominick again, it’s going to be up to [UFC president] Dana White to find a way to make that happen."

Jones, 31, admits he was pushed to the brink by 'The Devastator' and that he had serious doubts going into the final round.

The future Hall-of-Famer said: "I wasn’t always confident I was winning the fight. I was confident that I wasn’t going to be giving up or slowing down.

  • Donald Cerrone claims he made no PPV money from Conor McGregor fight despite promises

"[My coach] Greg Jackson said to me, ‘Jon, you may need to win this fifth round to win.’ The heart of a champion said, ‘No problem, coach. I got that. I can do that for you. I can leave it all out there. I’ve got five minutes left.’

"I think I displayed the difference between a champion and an extraordinary contender. He had all the tools. I think he had the endurance.

"Something special happens when it’s time for the champion to present himself. You guys saw it in the fifth round."

Read More

Today's top sport stories on Daily Star

  • Fury delivers bad news for boxing fans
  • Jones gives McGregor vs Khabib verdict
  • Storm Ciara wrecks havoc on sport events
  • Rossi's girlfriends hits back at critics

Despite coming up short against the pound-for-pound king, the previously-undefeated Reyes is happy with how he performed in his first UFC title fight.

"This is huge validation," he said. "It was the first time I went five rounds in my career against Jon Jones, who's arguably the best of all time, and I put it on him. I took it to him. I feel like I'm the people's champ."

Source: Read Full Article