Tottenham ‘planning move’ for Fabio Paratici target but Daniel Levy faces three-way battle
Transfer news: Who could be on the move this summer?
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Tottenham are preparing to launch a move for Stuttgart forward Nicolas Gonzalez this summer, according to reports. The 23-year-old is widely expected to leave the Bundesliga outfit ahead of next season after turning plenty of heads with his consistently impressive performances.
Spurs chairman Daniel Levy is currently gearing up to lead a summer of change in north London, with former Roma boss Paulo Fonseca expected to assume the manager’s role in the coming weeks.
Meanwhile, Fabio Paratici was confirmed as the club’s new sporting director on Saturday after leaving his post at Juventus in May.
The 48-year-old has reportedly been working with Levy in order to accelerate his search for a new boss and establish their transfer strategy ahead of the new campaign.
A number of areas are likely to be under the microscope, with Tottenham’s defensive options struggling to live up to expectations on a regular basis over the course of this season.
Attacking reinforcements are also expected to be on the agenda after the departure of Real Madrid loanee Gareth Bale, while Harry Kane’s future also looks to be hanging in the balance.
JUST IN: Paulo Fonseca ‘asks Tottenham’s Daniel Levy to sign three Roma stars’
It seems as though Paratici has wasted no time in identifying potential targets at the top of the pitch, with the Italian singling out Gonzalez as an attractive proposition, according to transfer expert Fabrizio Romano.
Spurs are believed to be long-term admirers of the versatile Argentine forward, who is capable of playing anywhere across the front three as well as in a No 10 role.
It is claimed that Levy and Paratici are planning to firm up their interest in Gonzalez, but could face a battle to secure his services with the player set to leave Stuttgart ‘in the next days’.
Brighton and Hove Albion are also said to be keeping a close eye on the situation alongside Fiorentina, who have already seen a bid in the region of £21.4million turned down.
A formal offer is yet to be tabled by Spurs, according to Romano, but it appears as though this could be subject to change in the near future.
Gonzalez sparked doubts over his commitment to Stuttgart in November of last year, admitting that he could look to move on in order to further his career ambitions.
“I give everything for VfB [Stuttgart], and I’m happy here,” he told Sport Bild. “But I want to get to next level, to progress, at some point.
“I would say there is a 50 per cent chance that I will still be playing for Stuttgart next season.”
Meanwhile, former Premier League striker Noel Whelan recently suggested that Gonzalez could find it difficult to adapt to life at Spurs, highlighting the struggles faced by Steven Bergwijn since his move from PSV Eindhoven last year.
“It’s working out for him in Germany, his stats look great,” Whelan told Football Insider.
“The German league, compared to the Premier League, is completely different. It’s a different kettle of fish, it’s a different proposition altogether.
“It’s how you hit the ground running. Will he adapt very quickly to a move abroad and life in the Premier League? It’s a different, stiffer opposition that you come up against and players you’ve got to compete against to take that position.
“It’s not as easy or as straightforward that you’re straight in the side. Bergwijn’s figured that one out as well because there’s lots of competition there.”
Source: Read Full Article