Premier League demand EFL backing on quotas before agreeing to bailout
Premier League demand EFL backing on homegrown player quotas after Brexit before they will agree to offer financial support for struggling clubs
- The EFL are seeking funding sources after talks with the Premier League stalled
- The Premier League said they will consider a EFL bailout who need £250m
- Gaining EFL support for their Brexit stance is Premier League’s main priority
The Premier League will insist that the Football League (EFL) back their opposition to an increase in homegrown player quotas after Brexit before they agree to financial support for struggling clubs.
Sportsmail revealed on Friday that the EFL are seeking alternative sources of emergency funding, including a commercial loan, as negotiations with the Premier League over a rescue package have stalled with just two weeks until the start of the season.
The Premier League have said they will consider a bailout for the EFL, who are seeking £250million over four years, but have yet to give a firm commitment almost three months after their financial support for the rest of the football pyramid was demanded by the Government.
Gaining EFL support for their Brexit stance is the Premier League’s number one priority
In a briefing note sent to top-flight clubs earlier this month, which has been seen by Sportsmail, chief executive Richard Masters made it clear that any aid would be contingent on furthering what he described as the Premier League’s strategic objectives.
It is understood that gaining EFL support for their Brexit stance is the Premier League’s No 1 priority, as agreeing new immigration rules for foreign players is the next big challenge facing the clubs alongside mitigating the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
The Premier League have been in a stand-off with the FA over the issue since the 2016 referendum, with no sign of a resolution just four months before the Brexit transition period ends.
The FA have proposed increasing the quota of homegrown players that must be in each 25-man match-day squad from eight to 12, in return for relaxing work permit requirements for foreign players.
However, the Premier League are refusing to accept further restrictions, as well as demanding the right to sign players from all over the world.
The Government have told the FA, the Premier League and the EFL to reach an agreement by October as the new regulations will come into force when the mid-season transfer window opens in January 2021.
EFL are seeking alternative sources of funding after Premier League discussions stalled
The EFL currently stipulate that there must be seven homegrown players in each match-day squad, which is broadly in line with the Premier League’s regulations, although in reality most clubs generally field far more.
As a result, the quota for homegrown players is less of an issue for EFL chairman Rick Parry (right), so they could back the Premier League without negatively impacting on the clubs, although taking on the FA could cause them political problems.
The FA’s support was vital to the EFL during the delicate negotiations which facilitated Project Restart, with the governing body’s refusal to countenance abandoning relegation if the top-flight season had been curtailed particularly important.
They also worked together to ensure the FA Cup and League Cup would take place as normal next season despite the contracted campaign.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article