Newcastle boss Eddie Howe sends board transfer demand after embarrassing Cambridge upset
Premier League transfer round-up: Aston Villa agree loan move for Philippe Coutinho
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Embarrassed Newcastle boss Eddie Howe says the club need more signings after his side were on the receiving end of an embarrassing FA Cup third-round upset on home soil against Cambridge United. The League One side were hardly given a chance after the Magpies named a full-strength starting XI but struck the winner courtesy of striker Joe Ironside in the second half.
There was a toxic atmosphere – besides the small pocket of travelling U’s fans in the heavens – inside St James’ Park at full-time as the Magpies stomached one of the worst results in their history.
The home supporters made their feelings towards the side’s performances abundantly clear as the majority of Newcastle players headed straight down the tunnel.
New signing Kieran Trippier wasn’t best pleased with his team-mates’ actions and tried to order some of them back to applaud the crowd.
His exemplary attitude and experience could prove key in helping Howe turn Newcastle’s fortunes around.
After the game, the Newcastle boss praised the impact of his new £12million signing before urging the board to pull rank and bring more new faces through the door as soon as possible.
“We would love to [make more signings]. I think you can see what Kieran did to the team,” Howe said.
“The response to him was first class. New signings at this moment would breathe new confidence into the team. So, fingers crossed.”
Newcastle are understood to be targeting a striker and another centre-back.
Taylor’s Tuesday Transfers: Arsenal striker movement, Auba problem, Tottenham and Vlahovic
Newcastle debutant Kieran Trippier ignored by team-mates after shameful Cambridge defeat
Man Utd star Marcus Rashford details squad’s reaction to Rangnick’s ‘broken dressing room’
The Magpies have seen two bids rejected by Lille for defender Sven Botman.
Talks with Sevilla over a deal for Diego Carlos are believed to have escalated in recent days.
An opening offer of around £25m was reportedly rejected by the La Liga side earlier in the week.
Howe also confirmed that talismanic forward Callum Wilson will be out for around eight weeks with the calf problem he sustained against Manchester United.
WATCH (VIDEO) – WHAT IT’S LIKE TO COVER TRANSFERS
Newcastle now need to find a new source of goals if they are to preserve their top-flight status.
Liverpool’s Divock Origi is said to be of interest but the Reds do no want to lose the Belgian until the end of the season.
Blackburn frontman Ben Brereton Diaz is also believed to be under consideration
Source: Read Full Article