Man Utd make Douglas Costa transfer decision as Kingsley Coman doubt emerges
Manchester United have cooled interest in Juventus star Douglas Costa despite insiders doubting the feasibility of a potential deal for Bayern Munich’s Kingsley Coman, reports say. Costa has emerged as an alternative target to Jadon Sancho, who is Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s priority. However, the Red Devils may not go for the Brazil international this summer.
Manchester United have found Sancho tough to sign, with Borussia Dortmund holding firm in transfer negotiations so far.
As a result, Solskjaer’s side are looking at alternatives with both Costa and Coman emerging as potential targets.
Costa has won silverware galore during his time in Europe, both with Bayern Munich and Juventus, and is expected to be sold by the Old Lady this summer.
Coman, too, has been successful throughout his career – winning league titles with Bayern, Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain over the years.
Yet, regarding Costa, the Manchester Evening News say United have cooled interest in the Juventus star.
It’s claimed the Red Devils were eyeing a loan for the Brazilian, who started only 11 times last season.
THINK YOU KNOW FOOTBALL? Football quiz questions and answers: 15 questions and answers for your home pub quiz
But that now isn’t the case – despite United insiders doubting whether a deal for Coman could actually be struck with Bayern.
The France international has been vital for the Bundesliga giants this term, flourishing alongside Robert Lewandowski and Serge Gnabry in attack.
And United feel that, with Coman just one of three specialist wingers on the Bayern books, it will be tricky to bring the 24-year-old to Old Trafford.
The forward could win the Champions League on Saturday night, with Bayern due to face PSG in the final.
And, speaking ahead of that match, Coman said: “It’s a great moment, we really wanted to go to the final. Now you have to win it.
“The work is not finished, we have to win it otherwise we will have done all this for nothing.
Man Utd boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has already signed Kai Havertz upgrade
Man Utd star Paul Pogba wants to stay at Old Trafford – EXCLUSIVE
Man Utd star Marcus Rashford’s transfer discussion with Ed Woodward about Jadon Sancho
“We knew it was going to be complicated, they played on their qualities, luckily they didn’t score and we were efficient.”
Meanwhile, Solskjaer recently admitted that United were looking to improve their squad despite their fine form since January.
The Red Devils have lost just twice since a 2-0 defeat to Liverpool, against both Chelsea and Sevilla respectively.
And Solskjaer said: “We still have a way to go to get to the level of the teams at the top of the Premier League. They are too far ahead of us.
“We are still growing, getting better of course, but we are not the finished article. Nowhere near.
“We want to go as far as we possibly can in this tournament. I think we all realise we are in a special moment in history.
THINK YOU KNOW SPORT? Test your sporting knowledge with our tricky quiz
“But that will stretch all the squads and it means you need a big squad for next season.
“You need to plan ahead. It is not just about 11, 12, or 13 players. You have to have 19, 20, 21 or 22 that you really rely on because if you play every three days for a full year it’s going to be mentally and physically difficult.
“We are always working towards having a competitive squad and the challenge for us now is to take the next step.
“That means winning trophies and keep trying to close the gap to the top two teams.
“And we have also got to make sure that the teams who finished below us in the table stay behind us.”
Source: Read Full Article