Man Utd close to Sancho and facing Varane threat as Solskjaer makes Lingard call

Manchester United are drawing up plenty of summer transfer plans to help Ole Gunnar Solskjaer mount a Premier League title challenge next season.

The Red Devils came agonisingly close to winning silverware last season, suffering a penalty shootout defeat against Villarreal in the Europa League final.

They also finished second to arch-rivals Manchester City in the Premier League, meaning Solskjaer is keen to strengthen his squad and go one better in 2021/22.

Old Trafford chiefs have already agreed a £73million deal to sign Jadon Sancho, but their business is not expected to end there – so we're on hand with the latest United transfer news below.

Sancho confirmation close

United finally agreed that deal to sign Sancho from Borussia Dortmund earlier this month, and confirmation of his long-awaited switch is said to be imminent.

After their 2-1 friendly win over Derby on Sunday, Solskjaer revealed there are only "small little details" left to finalise.

He said: "From what I understand only paperwork [is left to complete], small little details, hopefully we can announce something.

"Let's get all the paperwork done and get him over the line and then I can say what I truly feel about the player."

Do you think Jadon Sancho will turn Manchester United into Premier League title contenders? Let us know in the comments section below.

Varane threat

Raphael Varane has been linked with a move to United throughout the summer transfer window amid doubts over his future at Real Madrid.

Yet while the Red Devils appeared in the driving seat to sign him, Spanish outlet Marca are reporting that Chelsea have emerged as a late contender to hijack the deal.

Blues chiefs are understood to be ready to 'pounce' on the France centre-back, who looks to be on his way out of Madrid after failing to agree a new contract.

Solskjaer makes Lingard pledge

Jesse Lingard is back in Solskjaer's plans at Old Trafford following his successful loan stint at West Ham, the United boss has confirmed.

David Moyes was hoping to bring Lingard back to the London Stadium this summer after his return of nine goals in 16 games helped his side secure Europa League qualification.

Don't miss a thing with our football updates!

Want to be on the ball with all of the latest football news?

Well then sign up for the brilliant Daily Star football email newsletter!

From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox – don't miss a thing.

How do you sign up?

It only takes a matter of seconds.

Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article and hit 'subscribe'.

And that's it, job done. You'll receive an email with all of the top news stories every single morning.

You can find out more information on our email newsletter on this link here.

However, Solskjaer has shut down the possibility of the 28-year-old leaving United, saying: “Jesse is a Man United player. He wants to fight for his place. He has come back bright, bubbly, loads of energy, confident.

“Everyone saw what he did towards the end of last season at West Ham. He is still in my plans.”

Get your hands on your club's special edition 2021/22 annual. Find out more here.

Source: Read Full Article