Man City Women 2-1 Arsenal Women: Hosts into FA Cup final

Manchester City Women 2-1 Arsenal Women: Sam Mewis strike sends hosts to the FA Cup final to face Everton after Jordan Nobbs’ fine strike had cancelled out Steph Houghton’s free-kick

  • Steph Houghton opened the scoring for the hosts with a sublime free-kick 
  • Jordan Nobbs equalised for the Gunners with a fine strike of her own in first half
  • Man City restored their lead through Sam Mewis before the break on Thursday

Manchester City booked their place in the Women’s FA Cup final after beating Arsenal 2-1 in an entertaining game.

City quickly hit their stride in the opening exchanges, with summer signing Sam Mewis controlling the midfield and pegging Arsenal into their own half.

Captain Steph Houghton scored the goal City’s dominance deserved in the 19th minute when she curled a free-kick over the wall and into the left-hand corner, after Leah Williamson fouled Caroline Weir just outside the box.

Sam Mewis of Manchester City Women celebrates after scoring the winning goal on Thursday

Mewis is surrounded by her team-mates after scoring their second goal against Arsenal

Arsenal players celebrate after Jordan Nobbs equalised in the 38th minute of the cup clash

Nobbs scored an impressive goal from long range following Steph Houghton’s opener

Arsenal clawed themselves level after a glorious shot from Jordan Nobbs on the edge of the D looped powerfully over Ellie Roebuck seven minutes before the break.

City wasted no time restoring their lead. Chloe Kelly’s cross from the right found White, who managed to scramble the ball back for USA international Mewis to rifle home unmarked in the box just two minutes later.

City picked up the second half where they left off, dominating the ball and pressing with purpose.

Houghton broke the deadlock with a delightful free-kick in 19th minute of FA Cup semi-final

Houghton celebrates after hitting the ball home from a set-piece in the first half on Thursday

They could not find their third goal though and Arsenal rallied, creating chances of their own.

Nobbs picked out Caitlin Foord in the box with 15 minutes remaining but her header was not powerful enough to trouble Roebuck.

Vivianne Miedema sparked into life on 82 minutes, driving into the penalty box, but Demi Stokes got down well to steal the ball away.

Arsenal continued to probe but City held on to make sure of a place at Wembley against Everton.

Share this article

Source: Read Full Article