Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has learned from past mistakes with transfer window move
Record-breaking Salah leaves Liverpool boss Klopp in stitches
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Liverpool have been quiet in the summer transfer window so far, but it seems as though they are close to completing an important piece of business. Ibrahima Konate remains the only significant summer arrival, following his £36million move from RB Leipzig, with Jurgen Klopp and his side sticking rather than twisting.
The loss of Gini Wijnaldum on a free transfer to Paris Saint-Germain was a big blow to Klopp at the end of the 2020/21 season, but a few months on Liverpool appear to have moved on.
The return of Harvey Elliott following a successful loan spell with Blackburn Rovers and the return to full fitness of Naby Keita and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has eased the loss of Wijnaldum for the time being.
Liverpool were, of course, linked with a whole host of midfielders, with several clubs desperate to move on players amid a market depressed by the coronavirus pandemic.
Ultimately, with two weeks left until the transfer deadline, it looks as though the Reds aren’t tempted to get their chequebook out.
“We cannot compare with the other clubs, they obviously don’t have any limits. We have limits,” Klopp said last week in a not so subtle dig at his rivals.
JUST IN: Manchester United have signed Raphael Varane because of four players
“If we don’t win a game we won’t say ‘it’s because we didn’t sign him or him’.
“We want to use our sources – that’s passion, a good way, desire, a clear plan, direction, flexibility. That’s our football, that’s what we want to use. Let’s see which is the right way.”
While Liverpool are not splashing the cash in the transfer market, they are using it in a different way: by attempting to tie down the players they already have.
Virgil van Dijk, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Fabinho and Alisson have already signed contract extensions and it looks as though Jordan Henderson is about to follow suit.
Real Madrid ‘won’t invite Zidane’ to potential Mbappe presentation
Harry Kane’s continued silence speaks volumes after Tottenham win
Christian Pulisic gives view on Chelsea’s blockbuster Lukaku transfer
Henderson’s current deal expires in June 2023, but according to The Athletic, the 31-year-old has now reached an agreement in principle to sign a new long-term contract.
There had been some uncertainty about the Liverpool captain’s future at the club, with reports emerging in July suggesting the Reds were not in a rush to hand Henderson a new deal.
PSG manager Mauricio Pochettino is an admirer of Henderson, while Atletico Madrid and Roma have been linked with a transfer move too.
Amid this situation, Liverpool now appear to have changed their tune – and a new contract would prevent a repeat of the Wijnaldum situation.
“It is important but it will happen,” Klopp said of a new contract for Henderson on Friday.
“We will sort it, however it will be. We will sort it. No doubt about that. It will get sorted.”
Although he is not a shiny new signing, the importance of Henderson cannot be underestimated.
The England midfielder is a key cog in the Klopp machine but is also a true leader on and off the pitch, helping the club win the Premier League title and Champions League in recent years.
To allow other clubs the chance of luring him away from Anfield would have been extremely lax.
Instead, a new contract shows his value and maintains the squad harmony which has been so instrumental in Liverpool’s rise under Klopp.
Source: Read Full Article