Leicester 0-2 Slavia Prague (Agg: 0-2): Foxes crash out of the Europa League
Match report as Leicester crash out of Europe on disastrous night at the King Power Stadium; away goals from Lukas Provod and Abdallah Sima seal Foxes’ fate; focus now switches back to the Premier League for Brendan Rodgers’ side as they look to secure a top-four finish
Thursday 25 February 2021 22:19, UK
Leicester suffered a shock Europa League exit after suffering a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Slavia Prague at the King Power Stadium.
After last week’s 0-0 draw in Prague, Brendan Rodgers’ side still had plenty of work to do but, in the absence of the rested Harvey Barnes and the injured James Maddison, they struggled to find their rhythm on Thursday.
Their task was made even harder as Lukas Provod’s 49th-minute away goal left them with a mountain to climb.
Rodgers sent on Barnes in the 61st minute but the damage had already been done and Abdallah Sima’s strike (79) rounded off a memorable European night for the Czech side to send them into Friday’s last-16 draw.
After a disappointing night, Leicester’s focus will now switch back to the Premier League where they will look to build on what has already been a promising season and secure a top-four spot and Champions League football.
5 – Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers has been eliminated from all five of his UEFA Europa League knockout ties as a manager (all last 32) – with Liverpool in 2012-13 and 2014-15, Celtic in 2017-18 and 2018-19 and Leicester this season. Disappointment. #UEL pic.twitter.com/mLesa9CHgI
- How the teams lined up | Match stats
- Europa League fixtures | Results
- When is Europa League last-16 draw?
- Get Sky Sports | Get a Sky Sports Pass
More to follow…
Opta stats – Leicester’s unbeaten home run in Europe ended
- Leicester suffered their first home defeat in any European competition since September 1997 against Atlético de Madrid in the UEFA Cup, ending a run of nine such matches without defeat (W7 D2).
- Slavia Prague picked up just their second-ever win over an English club in all competitions (also March 2000 v Leeds United), and first away from home in their sixth such visit (D1 L4 previously).
- Slavia Prague won an away knockout stage match in a major European competition (excluding qualifiers) while also keeping a clean sheet for the first time since September 2000, a 2-0 UEFA Cup win over Akademisk Boldklub.
- Lukáš Provod’s goal was Slavia Prague’s first shot on target of the night against Leicester, ending the Foxes’ run of 234 minutes without conceding a goal in the UEFA Europa League.
- Nicolae Stanciu has assisted more goals than any other player for Slavia Prague in this season’s UEFA Europa League (three).
- Abdallah Dipo Sima’s four goals for Slavia Prague is the most by a teenager in this season’s UEFA Europa League.
When is the Europa League last-16 draw?
The draw will take place at midday on Friday, February 26 in Nyon’s House of European Football at 12pm UK time. You will be able to follow it across Sky Sports’ platforms.
Europa League 20/21: Key dates
- March 11 & 18: Round of 16
- April 8 & 15: Quarter-finals
- April 29 & May 6: Semi-finals
- May 26: Final (Gdansk, Poland)
Leicester host Arsenal in the Premier League on Sunday at midday, while Slavia Prague travel to Solvacko in the Czech First League, also on Sunday at 3pm.
Source: Read Full Article