Cristiano Ronaldo sends a stirring message to Portuguese fans
‘There are no impossibilities’: Cristiano Ronaldo sends stirring message to Portuguese fans as the 37-year-old stays focused on the World Cup campaign despite his explosive Manchester United departure
- Cristiano Ronaldo posts message to Instagram focussing on World Cup bid
- The Portuguese icon is a free agent after agreeing to end his contract at Man Utd
- Ronaldo tells fans there are ‘no impossibilities’ as he looks for World Cup glory
- Click here for the latest World Cup 2022 news, fixtures, live action and results
Cristiano Ronaldo has expressed he is fully focussed on Portugal’s World Cup campaign in the wake of having his contract terminated by Manchester United.
Ronaldo and United came to a mutual agreement on Tuesday to end his second spell at Old Trafford, following the comments he made during his controversial interview with Piers Morgan earlier this month.
However, in a week where it’s been all about the Portuguese captain’s club career, the 37-year-old took to Instagram to post a picture of himself alongside a message to the Portugal fans.
Cristiano Ronaldo is staying focussed on Portugal’s World Cup campaign after United exit
The Portuguese captain took to Instagram to send a message to fans on their World Cup campaign which kicks off on Thursday
The post read: ‘We’re about to start our campaign in the biggest competition in the world. An adventure that we desire long and full of successes, in order to raise the name and flag of our country very high. We want to fill all Portuguese with pride and joy. There are no impossibilities.’
Portugal begin their tournament on Thursday afternoon, when the play Ghana, before games against Uruguay and South Korea in Group H.
Ronaldo is playing in his fifth World Cup, having scored seven times for his country in 17 World Cup games since making his first appearance at the 2006 finals in Germany.
Man Utd and Ronaldo mutually agreed to end his contract at the club on Tuesday and will be a free agent after the World Cup
Ronaldo’s comments during his interview with Piers Morgan made an United exit inevitable
He parted ways with United this week after his explosive interview with Piers Morgan where he said he felt ‘betrayed’ by the club and stated he had no respect for current Red Devils manager Erik ten Hag.
The comments meant there was no way back for the former United number seven, and the club released a statement confirming his departure from the club.
It read: ‘Cristiano Ronaldo is to leave Manchester United by mutual agreement, with immediate effect. The club thanks him for his immense contribution across two spells at Old Trafford, scoring 145 goals in 346 appearances, and wishes him and his family well for the future.
‘Everyone at Manchester United remains focused on continuing the team’s progress under Erik ten Hag and working together to deliver success on the pitch.’
The Portugal captain trains with his team-mates ahead of their opening clash with Ghana
Ronaldo quickly responded with a statement of his own, stating: ‘Following conversations with Manchester United we have mutually agreed to end our contract early.
‘I love Manchester United and I love the fans, that will never ever change. However, it feels like the right time for me to seek a new challenge. I wish the team every success for the remainder of the season and for the future.’
As a free agent, Ronaldo is now free to sign for a club of his choosing and has been linked with a number of different moves after the World Cup.
Some reports have said he is considering an offer from Newcastle, while there are suitors ready to offer big money from both the middle east and the MLS.
Much will depend on what ambitions Ronaldo has left, but any club will need to rival the £500,000 a week wages he was on at Old Trafford.
Cristiano Ronaldo will have to think about his next move following the World Cup campaign
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article