White unconcerned that McGregor and Poirier are yet to agree rematch
‘I’m not worried about it’: UFC boss Dana White unconcerned that Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier are yet to officially put pen-to-paper on January rematch
- Conor McGregor confirmed his comeback to UFC in an Instagram post this week
- McGregor looks set to return against Dustin Poirier in a repeat of their 2014 clash
- The Irishman retired in June but looks set to make a return at UFC 257 next year
- However, Dana White said the fight is yet to be signed off on McGregor’s side
Dana White insists he is not concerned that Conor McGregor is yet to officially agree to his UFC comeback against Dustin Poirier in January.
The Irishman confirmed his return to the ring this week against Poirier, who he beat via a first-round knockout in 2014, saying he is excited to ‘do what I love again.’
But UFC president White says that the fight between the pair, provisionally pencilled in for UFC 257 in Abu Dhabi on January 23, is yet to be agreed – not that he’s worried about it.
Conor McGregor knocked out American Dustin Poirier in their first UFC clash back in 2014
UFC boss Dana White says a fight is yet to be officially agreed – but says it eventually will be
‘I don’t know (if he signed it yet),’ White told ESPN.
‘Listen, I’m not worried about it. Conor McGregor has never said, “Listen I want to fight,” gone out the way that he’s gone out, talked about it. We got him his own date.
‘Conor McGregor’s going to show up and fight. I’m not worried about his bout agreement, but I don’t know if it’s been signed.
‘I’m assuming it has, but it wasn’t the other day when I texted the fight wasn’t done yet.’
Poirier signed his side of the deal this week but as of yet there has been no official confirmation of McGregor committing.
The ‘Notorious’ appeared to have walked away from UFC when he announced his retirement in June, but has since teased a dramatic comeback on social media and has been in talks for a rematch against ‘The Diamond’ over the last month.
The Irishman has confirmed his long awaited return to UFC against old rival Poirer next year
Discussions over a rematch between McGregor and Poirer have been ongoing for a month
After lightweight king Khabib Nurmagomedov hung up his gloves, McGregor has been tipped to dominate the division and reclaim the titles he lost to the Russian star in 2018, and now he has revealed he is ‘grateful’ to return – vowing to show off his ‘weaponry’ against Poirier.
‘I am very grateful to be about to return and get to do what I love again,’ he said in a statement on Instagram.
‘I look forward to the fresh test Dustin will bring since our first bout, while also showcasing my own incredibly deep cache of weaponry. Whatever tool is needed on the night will be pulled from the duffel.’
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article