Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Tony Ferguson to go ahead as UFC find location
Khabib Nurmagomedov is still on course to defend his lightweight title against Tony Ferguson next month.
The 155lb champion was due to put his belt on the line on April 18 in New York before the coronavirus crisis ground the world to a halt.
But UFC president Dana White has long insisted the show must go on and he is now confident he has found a venue.
"I do [know where it is]," he told Yahoo. "But I'm not ready to tell you yet. I know lots of things. … There's not going to be any fans there, it's going to be a closed event."
Nurmagomedov himself cast doubt on the fight – which has previously been postponed four times due to injury and illness.
"We can’t understand what is happening at all," he wrote on Instagram.
"Where are we fighting and are we fighting at all? What about the weight and the venue of the battle? UFC 249 what are you?'
But White later reiterated his determination to host the event.
"Trust me, Khabib has been telling me every day, 'Send location'," he told ESPN. "I have it. It's 99.9 per cent. On April 18, we are having this fight.
"We're going to face some problems, I'm sure. There are always problems with every card we put on, and with this situation, you expect there will be more, but we will still find a way to promote these fights. We always f****** do."
The UFC has come under fierce criticism over its approach to the outbreak having pushed ahead with a behind-closed-doors event in Brazil two weeks ago.
White had also planned to go ahead with the UFC London card – scheduled for March 21 – in the United States but had to eventually concede defeat when his country effectively came to a standstill.
Source: Read Full Article