Astros stars Alex Bregman, Jose Altuve apologize for sign-stealing scandal: ’Sorry about the choices made’

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — In a show of remorse that many within their sport may feel is both overdue and insufficient, Houston Astros stars Alex Bregman and Jose Altuve apologized for their roles in an electronic sign-stealing scandal that tainted their 2017 World Series championship and roiled Major League Baseball all winter. 

In a pivot from defiant tones last month, Bregman and Altuve read brief, prepared statements Thursday morning for their roles in a scheme that involved cameras, an illegal monitor and banging on a trash can to signal to hitters what pitch was coming. 

“I’m really sorry about the choices made by my team, my organization – and me. I hope to regain the trust of baseball fans, “ said Bregman, who hit the game-winning 10th-inning single in the pivotal Game 5 of that 2017 World Series. 

In the aftermath of MLB’s January report on the scandal, Astros owner Jim Crane fired general manager Jeff Luhnow and manager A.J. Hinch, who received one year bans from the league. 

Wednesday, new manager Dusty Baker and Crane held an emotional, one-hour meeting with members of the 2017 team on the eve of Thursday’s first workout for pitchers and catchers. 

They hope to move forward with new management, but early reaction from spring training camps indicate that will be easier said than done. 

HATERS: Angels pitcher hopes the Astros 'feel like (expletive)'

BUZZERS: Ex-Astros manager says he's 'never seen any such device'

Source: Read Full Article