Oleksandr Usyk's team have thrown Tyson Fury fight back in DOUBT
Oleksandr Usyk’s team have thrown Tyson Fury fight back in DOUBT, declaring the Ukrainian will switch to a mandatory defence route if the undisputed heavyweight clash doesn’t happen, with April 29 STILL not confirmed despite the Gypsy King’s claim
- Oleksandr Usyk’s manager has cast doubt on April 29 date for mammoth clash
- Tyson Fury insisted that the undisputed heavyweight clash was definitely on
- But Egis Klimas said if it doesn’t happen, Usyk will pivot to mandatory defence
Oleksandr Usyk’s team have cast doubt on the April 29 date for the undisputed heavyweight clash with Tyson Fury.
Earlier this week, the Gypsy King insisted that the bout at Wembley was definitely on, and that he has entered a social media blackout during training for the fight.
But the Ukrainian’s manager and long-time advisor Egis Klimas has issued a firm take-it-or-leave-it declaration to Fury’s team, and that if the fight does not happen, Usyk will pivot to a mandatory defense of his WBA title against Daniel Dubois.
Klimas told SNAC: ‘If this fight is going to happen, only April 29th. Or it’s just going to be cancelled, and we’ll go with the mandatory.’
This comment appears to dispute Fury’s latest claim that the fight was definitely on for six weeks time.
Oleksandr Usyk’s manager has raised doubt about a potential April 29 meeting with Tyson Fury
The Gypsy King had previously claimed that the fight was going ahead at Wembley Stadium
The squabbling between both parties has been intense over recent months, with a proposed Middle East contest canned in favour of a mighty tussle at Wembley Stadium.
Usyk’s team believe they should get more favourable terms because of the WBO, WBA, IBF and IBO championships brought to the table.
But Fury – who is promoted by Queensbury Promotions in the UK and Top Rank in the US- and his team believe that his ability to capture an audience mean that he deserves a bigger split of the purse.
Klimas said Fury’s demand for a 70/30 split in favour of the Brit – alongside the Gypsy King’s financial donation to help those affected by the war in Ukraine – would only apply to April 29. Otherwise, an even split would be called upon.
If the mandatory defence route is taken instead, Brit Dubois is also promoted by Queensberry.
Klimas said Fury’s other promoters were responsible for complicating negotations between the Mancunian and the Ukrainian gold medallist from the 2012 Olympics, because they were treating Usyk like the Gypsy King’s previous opponents.
Klimas said: ‘It’s changed, Top Rank got more involved in it, but not too much.
‘They’re still treating Oleksandr Usyk like they did with Derek Chisora, or Dillian Whyte. They act like it’s just a regular Fury fight in the UK, and everything has to be by Fury’s rules.’
Usyk’s manager Egis Klimas said that they were seeking legal counsel in the UK to fight Fury
If Usyk takes on the mandatory defence route, he will take on British boxer Daniel Dubois
Klimas also said Usyk’s team are pursuing legal counsel in the UK to counteract Team Fury. He said: ‘We are the outsider, but we can’t just play by everything they throw to us. Enough is enough.’
He also expressed his displeasure at Fury’s attempts to add and change the clauses in the contract to try and suit him, rather than getting on with securing the fight.
Klimas said: ‘So what’s it going to be tomorrow? You can not fight with right hand? Only one hand? What’s going to be next? We don’t know what’s going to be next from this guy.’
The April 29 date would be an opportunity for boxing’s first undisputed heavyweight champion since Lennox Lewis in 2000. Otherwise, the sport will have to see what comes next for two of the most famous figures in the ring.
Source: Read Full Article