Indian Test team Gabba bubble
Queensland’s chief health officer will not bow to any pressure from Cricket Australia or the touring Indian team to change “bubble” requirements for the upcoming Gabba Test.
Speculation is mounting that the Indian team is displeased with being made to operate within a “bubble” for the fourth Test at the Gabba on January 15.
The Indian side took the field for the opening day of the third Test at the SCG on Thursday.
Rumours of their discontent come as Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk banned residents from Greater Sydney entering the state until February.
Queensland’s chief health officer Dr Jeannette Young played a straight bat to suggestions of watering down India’s bubble requirements ahead of the Gabba Test. Picture: Dan PeledSource:News Corp Australia
Queensland’s chief health officer Dr Jeannette Young said the Australian and Indian Test teams would be required to operate within a bubble for the upcoming Gabba Test.
She said it would be the same protocols that governed AFL and Suncorp Super Netball players and officials last year.
“My rules are the standard rules I've used for sporting teams right from the start and they’ve worked very successfully for us, so that’s what we’ll continue to do,” Ms Young told reporters.
She had the full support of Ms Palaszczuk, who said it was up to Cricket Australia to negotiate with the Indian side.
“My understanding is that all of the conversations that are happening are very positive, so I don’t have any concerns at the moment,” Ms Palaszczuk
“That’s (bubble concerns) a matter between Indian cricket team and Cricket Australia.
“But from our point of view, the same measures that have been put in place, where we have successfully hosted a number of events including the AFL, have stood Queensland in good stead.
“The rules still apply and conversations are still happening.
“This is about making Queenslanders safe, and if Dr Young has put in specific rules then they need to be abided by.”
Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk says her priority is keeping Queenslanders safe during the pandemic. Picture: Dan PeledSource:News Corp Australia
Ms Palaszczuk also gave fair warning to all Greater Sydney residents to cancel holidays to Queensland after ruling out opening the borders to the designated hot spot before the end of January.
“In relation to travellers coming from Greater Sydney, you will not be allowed to come to Queensland,” she said.
“ This will be reviewed at the end of the month.”
Earlier, news.com.au reported that Cricket Australia was seeking clarification from the Indian cricket board (BCCI) following reports of a possible boycott of the Gabba Test.
Plans for the fourth Test at the Gabba were ticked off by both the BCCI and Queensland Health on December 29, and CA maintains that it has not heard anything from their counterparts
The biosecurity protocols for the SCG and Gabba Tests are identical.
Players are permitted to move around the their hotels and to leave for training and matches.
Originally published asQld digs heels in over Gabba ‘bubble’
Source: Read Full Article