Khabib insists McGregor will not get rematch + looks ahead to Poirier
‘He tapped and begged “please don’t kill me”‘: Khabib Nurmagomedov insists Conor McGregor will not get rematch as he looks ahead to UFC 242 title defence against Dustin Poirier
- Khabib Nurmagomedov will fight interim lightweight champion in Abu Dhabi
- Dustin Poirier beat Max Holloway to earn right to face undefeated Russian
- Khabib submitted Conor McGregor last year and was banned for aftermath
- He has no regrets over brawl and says Irishman does not deserve rematch
Khabib Nurmagomedov insists Conor McGregor is nowhere near deserving of a rematch and holds no regrets over the violent brawl in Las Vegas.
The undefeated Russian reached a new level of stardom with his submission win on October 6 last year and a new level of infamy with the ugly brawl he sparked afterwards.
Khabib was dealt a £380,950 fine and nine-month ban but is adamant he’d do it all again given the chance.
Khabib Nurmagomedov has no regrets about his actions after the Conor McGregor fight
The Russian insisted that the Irishman doesn’t deserve a rematch given his recent record
Khabib submitted McGregor in the fourth round of the most-watched UFC fight of all time
‘If I have the chance one more time, I am going to do this one more time. Maybe 100 times, it doesn’t matter.
When asked if he regretted anything, he retorted: ‘No nothing.’
‘How does he deserve a rematch? He tapped. He begged me ‘please don’t kill me’, now we’re talking about a rematch?
‘People who have win streaks are on the line. But not a guy who don’t do nothing for the last three years. I have my hopes without him,’ he said at a London press conference promoting UFC 242.
Khabib defends his lightweight title against Dustin Poirier, who claimed the interim title against Max Holloway while the division’s undefeated king was serving his suspension.
Dustin Poirier is the man aiming to hand Khabib the first defeat of his professional career
‘This fight is so big, he has become interim champion for a reason,’ the 30-year-old added.
‘For me, for my family, for my team – my father is going to come – I can’t wait.
‘Right now, I am not missing too much the fights but I am very excited about competition. I really want to compete with one of the best guys in the world.’
And Poirier, the man bidding to be the first to overcome arguably the most formidable MMA grappler in history, certainly enters into that bracket.
The Louisiana native earned his title shot the hard way with wins over Anthony Pettis, Justin Gaethje, Eddie Alvarez and then Holloway.
The 30-year-old believes he can beat Khabib even if the champion is at his very best
Poirier claimed the interim lightweight title with victory over Max Holloway in April
He insists it will not take an off night from Khabib in the middle east for him to bring home the belt.
‘Two champions are going in, one champion is coming out. I don’t need him to be weak for me to be strong. I don’t need huge glaring holes, I am going to create them – 27 have tried and 27 have failed.
‘I need to be myself, go out and show the world what I am capable of.’
‘He’s got a lot of experience,’ the 30-year-old American added. ‘I believe he will start out how he left off. I don’t see any ring rust there.
‘I have learned I can count on myself, I can trust me. Adversity introduces a man to himself and I have been through it.’
Poirer and Khabib will lock horns on September 7 in Abu Dhabi.
Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov (left), Khabib’s father, will be in attendance for the fight
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article