Strikers to play in Barossa for first time

For the first time in its five-season history, a game of the Women’s Big Bash League will be played in regional South Australia.

The Adelaide Strikers — headlined by the world’s No.1 T20 bowler Megan Schutt and New Zealand all-rounders Suzie Bates and Sophie Devine — will head to Nuriootpa’s Centennial Park Oval for a game against Melbourne Stars on Saturday, November 16.

The game comes following the success of the men’s pre-season internal trial that was played there last year.

Nuriootpa Cricket Club committee member Brett Lydeamore said this game was a great opportunity to showcase cricket at the highest level in the Barossa.

“It’s a really good investment into the future of cricket in the region and especially for aspiring females,” he said.

Stream international cricket live and on demand with KAYO SPORTS including every Australian Test, ODI and T20I on home soil. Get your 14-day free trial >

Strikers big-hitting all-rounder Sophie Devine in action during WBBL04. She will return for WBBL05. Picture: IAN HITCHCOCK/GETTY IMAGESSource:Getty Images

“That’s an area that we want to improve in — really getting more girls in the region playing cricket.

“We have reached out to the association and they have been able to schedule a bye in all grades for the weekend of the game so we would really be hoping to see a couple of thousand people out here.

“When we hosted the trial match with the men, we had close to 2000 people here and half of those would have been kids. That’s what it’s all about for us, getting kids involved.”

Work has begun on a new practice net facility at Centennial Park Oval, with the Barossa Council, the South Australian Cricket Association, Cricket Australia and the Australia Cricketer’s Association assisting with funding through the Australian Cricket Infrastructure Fund.

Last season’s Adelaide Strikers team — who played in the WBBL04 — has fun during their team photograph at Adelaide Oval. This season’s WBBL05 team will feature some new and old faces. Picture: MATT TURNER.Source:News Corp Australia

SACA Chief Executive Keith Bradshaw said taking a game to regional South Australia aligned perfectly with the WBBL’s focus on family-friendly entertainment and a festival-style atmosphere.

“Our WBBL cricketers are such fantastic athletes and role models, so it will be exciting for Barossa kids to have the chance to get up close with their heroes,” Bradshaw said.

The Strikers begin their WBBL campaign on October 19 at Karen Rolton Oval. Entry is free to all Strikers matches taking place in South Australia.

Originally published asStrikers to play in Barossa for first time

Source: Read Full Article